Sunday, August 22, 2004

I was just asked, "Have you seen some kids yesterday?" Well, I didn't work yesterday, but the odds are, being that I work in a children's library, I probably would have seen some kids.

Penelope came home yesterday morning. Apparently, the fluids the vet gave Penelope Friday were enough to get her pooping (the vet's words, not mine). The vet also described her as more "spunky" yesterday morning, which was probably just her being polite. Penelope is many things, but tolerant of strangers and new situations are not really among them. She was sent home with some medicine, which I have to give to her twice a day. It's a liquid, so I feed it to her with a syringe, which is just a blast. Done it twice so far. The first time went pretty smoothly. This morning, there was a bit of a chase, and I had to stop her from spitting it back up all over the carpet. And, Penelope being Penelope, it's just going to get harder and harder over the course of the week. Still, if this is what it takes to get her better, this is what I have to do.

Watched a couple of movies yesterday. One was Under the Tuscan Sun; just how gay is that? Actually, since part of the motivation was looking at really pretty Diane Lane, I shouldn't say that, except it is the complete woman's movie. Which is fine, except that's not me, and I'm not sure I took much away from it besides an impression of Tuscany as a really beautiful place, and Diane Lane as a really beautiful woman. Still, sometimes that's enough. I want to say it's very Peter Mayle, except that I've never actually read anything by him.

And last night, I finally saw Spy Kids 3, and that wasn't anywhere near as good as Under the Tuscan Sun. Understand, I really liked the first two Spy Kids movies, and this one was just stupid. The first two were these clever, entertaining, James Bond meets Willy Wonka hybrid things that showed a tremendous amount of imagination on the part of writer/director Robert Rodriguez. They also focused on the family relationships between the characters, giving the movies a soul beneath all the weirdness. This one wasn't about the family, it was about one of the kids. By sticking Juni (the Spy Kid) into a video game, it felt almost as if Rodriguez were more interested in showcasing his special effects studio, rather than coming up with a story which then justified using the special effects. (You know you've got problems when the worst part of a movie isn't Sylvester Stallone's acting...) Very disappointing.

No comments: