Friday, January 07, 2005

I'm not sure exactly when I stopped enjoying Joan of Arcadia this year, but it's certainly happened. Tonight was the first new episode since... well, I can't quite recall, but I don't really feel like I've missed it. The DVR automatically recorded it, but I didn't feel like watching it, and I'm pretty seriously considering just deleting it and taking it out of the programming. I mean, with the return of new stuff on SciFi, and Star Trek: Enterprise being better than ever this season, I just don't want to be watching so many shows on Fridays. (I could, because SciFi reruns their entire lineup later at night, but that means I still have that much more to watch...)

I think my problem with Joan this year is it's just too serious and self-absorbed. My overwhelming impression of the first season was of entertaining stories of Joan helping others, reluctantly. This season, it all feels whiney and selfish. When Joan does help someone else, it's her boyfriend, or her brother and his girlfriend, or whatever. It's just not ... fun any more, to me. So...

Well, I think I just talked myself out of watching it. (The show's ratings are apparently in a decline this year, after last season's stellar performance, so clearly, I'm not the only one who feels this way.)

And, somewhat surprisingly, NBC is running the Battlestar: Galactica miniseries all in one go tomorrow night. It's a three-hour slot, which means it's probably edited all to hell and gone, but just the idea that it's getting a network screening... I'd recommend everyone watch it, because it's really pretty good, but who knows how cut-up it'll be?

And it snowed here today. It's the freaking desert, and it snowed. I've got snow in my freaking front yard (desert landscaping, of course), and the flowers are all gone. Hopefully they'll grow back or bloom again or whatever. If it doesn't melt overnight, I'll take a picture tomorrow morning.

No comments: