Tuesday, November 02, 2004

So, for the past week, I have been volunteering to help get the vote out for John Kerry.  I've been going out and canvassing, knocking on doors of potential Kerry supporters and encouraging them to get out and vote on Tuesday.  Then I'm supposed to call them again and remind them, arrange for them to get rides, whatever it takes to get them to get out and vote.
 
Now, I've talked before about how I hate to leave the house and how I hate to talk to people, and that may have been viewed as hyperbole.  Believe me, it isn't.  This takes me so far outside my comfort zone, when I get done for the day, I literally have the shakes.  However, having committed to doing this, I'm equally uncomfortable making the decision not to keep going out.  I feel like, if I don't go out and knock on doors whenever I have the chance, and come Tuesday, the Criminal Bush continues his criminal reign, I'll be partially responsible. 
 
So, no matter what I do, I get upset, because I hate the idea of going out and talking to strangers about voting, and I hate the idea that there's more I should be doing, but am not.  End result: complete stress.  I've been antsy and upset and on edge all week, and this weekend is the last big push before election day.  And then I'm volunteering on election day, because I'm just that big of a sucker.  Because if I could, and don't, and the Criminal Bush wins... well, I'm repeating myself.
 
So, this is why entries have been sparse for the past week or more: even when I have time to write something for the blog without feeling like I should be out talking to more people, I'm still so wound up that I can't focus.  This will persist until after Tuesday, so bear with me.
 
Oh, and doing this has helped me realize why my interest in superhero comics is fading.  But that's a story for another day, probably.  Because I gots more stuff to do today.

No comments: