Sunday, July 04, 2004

Things seen today:

Cold Mountain on DVD. I'll admit, without Nicole Kidman in it, I probably wouldn't have seen it. (And, in my defense, that's not enough to get me to see Stepford Wives in the theater, either.) But it was beautiful and moving, and a nice way to cap a weekend filled with way too many movies. (And if I hadn't watched this, the last movie I'd have seen this weekend would have been The Medallion, and that just wouldn't have been right.)

Also saw some guy putting the moves on the hostess at the Original Pancake House, when I went to get breakfast. So slick, he was, until he found out she was only sixteen. And then he tried to get the other hostess to back him up when he claimed that she looked at least nineteen. Please. I mean, I'm hardly the expert in whatever unwritten male/female pickup rules exist, but I know you don't seriously flirt with service workers, like waitresses or salespeople or whatever. I mean, it's their job to pretend to be friendly. Why muddy the waters?

Oh, and here's an irritation: my cute-and-friendly-but-young who I didn't flirt with waitress asked me as I was halfway through my huge omelette if I needed a box, or if I was going to try to finish it. I had been eating it pretty constantly since she brought it, but I guess since I wasn't wolfing it right down without chewing it first, I must have been not hungry or something. (Or I just wasn't eating fast enough for them to free up my table, but screw that noise. I waited for my seat, I ordered my food, I wasn't deliberately dawdling, and they could just wait for me to finish my breakfast.)

On the other hand, I noticed WHILE I WAS EATING, NOT TAKING ANY SORT OF BREAK TO INDICATE I WAS LOSING MY APPETITE a waiting kid playing a game on a cell phone. Next time I looked up, he was playing with an Etch-a-Sketch. Who says technology is replacing the classics?

No comments: