Monday, August 23, 2004

More than a little bothered by the fact that Penelope still isn't pooping on a regular basis, so this will be short:

I'm not eager to see Aliens vs Predator, much as I love both series individually, because it just sounds like it falls short of what it could be. From interviews I've read with the director, and from friends who have seen the movie, it's more than a little ways into the film before we even see the Aliens and Predators. The director, Paul WS Anderson, claims that this is an homage to the original films, which built suspense by keeping the threats hidden for the longest time. Well, that's fine, but this isn't the original movies, this is the fifth Aliens movie and the third Predator one, and it's called Aliens vs Predator for a reason. If I'm going to pay my money for a movie called Aliens vs Predator, there are pretty much just three things I want: Aliens, Predators, and them fighting. I don't want to see the human drama; that would be Under the Tuscan Sun With Aliens and Predators or Lost in Alien/Predator Translation. I don't want to see the critters held back for the sake of some bullshit attempt at suspense, either. Says Aliens vs Predator on the freaking poster; are we supposed to be shocked when it turns out to be them lurking in the shadows? I want what it says on the box, and from what I'm hearing, I'm not going to be getting that. And I'm not interested in paying my money in hopes that my misgivings turn out to be wrong, because that's never happened in a theater.

And it's set in a pyramid or ancient temple or something, which is Hollywood for low budget. Might as well set it inside a warehouse. If I'm supposed to be excited about Aliens and Predators fighting it out on Earth, I want to see them on the streets of New York City and Los Angeles, and on the Vegas Strip. What's the point of setting it on Earth if the part of Earth will be played by the walls of a soundstage?

And I'd still see this before I'd see Anacondas...