Saturday, August 28, 2004

Despite my earlier misgivings, I've been gradually warming up to Justice League Unlimited on Cartoon Network. Tonight's episode managed to win me over completely. Now, I don't want to be one of those guys who worships at the altar of writer Paul Dini--though I guess I am--but this is easily the most fun episode of Justice League (of either series) I can recall seeing. I mean, there have been other good episodes, but this is the first one that felt like it remembered to pull the stick out of its ass and have a good time with the concept, instead of telling a deadly-serious straight-faced episode, or an out-and-out wacky comedy half hour. No, this had wit and style and a good, suspenseful superhero story with some surprising twists. And it had Zatanna, one of my favorite superhero characters of all time (due to be revived/revamped by superstar writer Grant Morrison in a miniseries next year). And finally, the series gets points for developing romantic sparks between Wonder Woman and Batman, instead of the more obvious Wonder Woman/Superman route that the comics always toy with.

Which just means that next week will probably feel that much more disappointing...

No comments: