Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Monday, 8:50 pm: In my hotel room (larger than my parents') there's a window between the bathroom and main room. In the shower, to be exact. Presumably it's just there so hotel guests can enjoy the mountain view, even while taking a shower. It's still kind of weird.

Had dinner with the family and some local relatives (aunt, uncle, cousins). Always nice to see my cousins, who I never see, and always wish I saw more of. Although I suspect we wouldn't actually move in the same circles. They're all starting young families and have jobs as doctors and lawyers. I'm a single librarian who hates talking to people or leaving the house. (Actually, this sounds like the makings of a UPN reality show...)

Of course, the downside of this sort of outlook disconnection is this sort of thing: when I tell my uncle, the doctor, that I'm doing a presentation at NLA about graphic novels, I can tell he has no context for that information. And providing that context would require more of that talking to people thing than I am generally comfortable with. So I end up downplaying what I do, because it's easier. (Happy place...)

Tomorrow: the full day.
Composed on my palmtop; posted whenever I remember to synch to the desktop.

No comments: