Saturday, July 10, 2004

MI6 :: The Home Of James Bond 007

So instead of continuing with a series of just-okay contemporary James Bond novels (which I wasn't reading, much as I loved the Fleming stuff), starting next year, we get a series of Young James Bond stories, telling tales of his teenage years back in the 1930s (which would be the correct time, if you figure the Fleming novels took place when they were published).

Now, on the surface, this seems like exactly what it is, an attempt to cash in on the kiddie-lit market reenergized by stuff like Harry Potter and the Lemony Snicket books. And I should pooh-pooh such a crass commercial move. But I love James Bond, I love children's adventure novels, I love period adventure novels, and I'm a big fan of Charlie Higson's writing from Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) remake (currently on view on BBC America). So, come March 2005, I'm probably there...

No comments: