Sunday, September 25, 2005

Thanks to Matt, I was able to see the premiere episode of Threshold on videotape. (And what does it say about my life that the one thing I can successfully do is whistle up episodes of TV shows from across the country at the drop of a hat?) A lot of the action stuff was just okay, but a lot of the creepy stuff was really creepy (like an alien object that screws you up from just looking at it). So far, the DVR hasn't erased the second episode all on its own, so I should be able to get caught up in the next day or so. Invasion may have been a little spookier overall, but this one has the edge with a quirky cast. Plus, lots of scenes with Carla Gugino running around in her nightgown, taking a page from Ghost Whisperer. (Clearly, they understand at least the segment of the audience that includes me.)

Went out to the Valley of Fire state park earlier today, as evidenced by the pictures I posted earlier. Since I did not get the job in Oregon, and will be staying in Vegas for the forseeable future, I figured I should get out more and see some of the pretty things this neck of the woods (or, you know, scrubby desert) has to offer.

Let's see, what else... Planning on finishing one of the new Doctor Who books, Only Human, by fan favorite writer Gareth Roberts, tonight. It's been a particularly good one, and the books help fill in some of the waiting until the Christmas Invasion. But even more exciting would be the books on the on-deck circle: new Neil Gaiman novel, Anansi Boys, the new Molly Moon book by Georgia Byng (my personal favorite post-Harry Potter fantasy series for kids), and a book called The Pirates! In an exciting adventure with the Scientists by Gideon Defoe. The second book in this series (because nothing ever stands alone; even Anansi Boys is connected to American Gods) got a great review on Shiny Shelf, and I generally agree with their reviews, so I decided to check it out from the library. We'll see...

Oh, and two new shows of note on BBC America this week: Bodies on Thursday (a medical drama that also attracted raves on Shiny Shelf) and the TV series of The Mighty Boosh, the radio series of which I loved on CD. So check them out.

No comments: