Tuesday, July 20, 2004

The Grid ended up being pretty much what I expected: not as good as Spooks (the first season, anyway), better than Threat Matrix. The British stuff (set in the UK, with the British characters) was more interesting than the American stuff, but it gets bonus points for having the American counterterrorism agents getting everything so completely wrong, and the British agent--who, of course, nobody listens to, at tremendous cost--so completely right.

And while the interview didn't go too badly this morning, I did not make it to the next, final round (the top two candidates are to be interviewed by the college vice president this afternoon, and I just got the phone call that I'm not one of them). I'm not sure how I feel; sort of a mixture of disappointment and relief. I would have liked to have been so impressive that they offered me the job, so I could have at least decided for myself whether I wanted it or not. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I did want it, so now I don't have to worry about making that choice.

I will say that I felt more relaxed at the interview this morning than I have at any other interview. I actually do enjoy doing what I do, so there wasn't this tremendous pressure to escape from it. I felt pretty confident about most of my responses, but there were one or two questions that I felt less sure about. If I had to guess, I'd say that's where I stepped wrong, but it's so hard to tell. At least I have a good working relationship with one of the people who did interview me, so I hope to get some feedback from her on how to do better next time.

No comments: