Wednesday, July 21, 2004

BBC - Cult Television - Doctor Who

Full Frontal Nerdity! The new Doctor Who actually began shooting this week in the UK. Actual BBC Wales crew members put film in a camera, pointed it at actors like Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper, turned the camera on, and recorded them pretending to be the Doctor and Rose in the first new Doctor Who TV story in almost 10 years (and the first new series in almost 15). This was the point I almost didn't believe we'd get to. From this point on, everything else (editing, postproduction, broadcasting the thing, etc) almost feels like a formality. It's really coming back!

And the new Doctor's costume isn't a costume! It's clothes! He's not dressed in a great big sign that says, "Look at me! I'm an eccentric hero!" He's wearing a T-shirt and a leather jacket! And suddenly, I find myself tumbling down to the bottom of the complete goon pile, because while online fans are freaked about that, I'm okay with it.

A BBC morning show did a story about the beginning of filming, which can be viewed using RealPlayer here. Hopefully.

No comments: