Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A couple of months ago, when I talked about ordering Infinite Crisis, I said up front that I was going into this with my eyes open. Being written by Geoff "Why come up with a new idea when you can just revisit a plot from 25 years ago?" Johns, who produced the silly mess, Green Lantern: Rebored, I expected it to be a lame story, and I only decided to buy it so I could be surprised by the story as I read it, instead of stumbling across spoilers on the Internet. But I said at the time that if I bought it knowing, in advance, that it would be crap, I wouldn't complain.

And I'm not going to complain, but isn't it astonishing how truly lousy it is? How everything in it completely depends on the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, how it brings absolutely no new or original ideas to the table, and at the same time completely fails to understand the point of the original? I swear, after five issues of this, and the constant reminders that we are currently smack dab in the middle of the "Hey, remember this guy?" era of comics, I can't imagine what it would take to get me to add a new DC or Marvel superhero comic to my list (a list that has seen a whole slew of DC and Marvel superhero comics taken off it in the past couple of months).

Actually, I do know what it would take: Grant Morrison and Paul Dini writing the two Batman comics, because I'm planning on getting those. But otherwise, unless it's being done by creators who have proven for a long, long time that they're capable of producing more than crap (and here, I guess I'm really only talking about Walt Simonson and Howard Chaykin on Hawkgirl) if it's a superhero comic from the Big Two, I'm just not interested any more.

No comments: