Saturday, January 01, 2005

Now that my anti-Green Lantern rant is out of the way... I started a new book the other day, A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass. It's about a young girl with synesthesia, a condition where the brain perceives things differently from what we know as normal (for example, when Mia, the main character, hears noises or reads letters or numbers, she sees specific colors and shapes). I'm about halfway through, and am loving it. It really captures the sense of learning that you're somehow different from the world around you, but when your "normal" is all you know, you have no real idea how else you're supposed to be. Very well done so far, although I'm really worried about her cat, Mango (so named because that's the color she sees when she hears him). He's sick, and I don't know if I can take it if Mango dies.

On the flipside, with this week's comics, I got a new graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and Michael Zulli called Creatures of the Night. It adapts two of Gaiman's short stories, including "The Price," one of my favorite cat stories of all time. Ever.

No comments: