Saturday, July 03, 2004

Right, real quick:

Did manage to get out to see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban today. As good an installment in its series as Spider-Man 2 was in its series yesterday. Perhaps my favorite Harry Potter movie to date. I mean, I like the first two, but the kids really come into their own as actors in this one. And this is the first one that doesn't really feel like it takes place on a soundstage.

Saw Holes (the movie) on Starz yesterday. It's been playing forever on cable, seems like, but this was my first chance to watch it start to finish in widescreen high definition (which is why I bought the stupid TV set and pay extra for the HD cable in the first place). Another great family movie, in a way that a movie can be enjoyed by the whole family without being stupid, or something that parents won't want to watch, but won't be afraid to let their kids see. I still want to read the book--the plan had been to read the book first--but now, I won't be able to without seeing the movie in my head. (Same problem I have reading the new Harry Potter books, now that the roles have been cast for me.)

Watched The Medallion on HBO HD tonight. I want to believe that what made it to the US was excerpted from a longer, better movie that made more sense, but I'm sure even an uncut version wouldn't have been that great. Had to be better than this, though, which was worse than The Tuxedo. (Actually, I kind of like The Tuxedo, but more because it sets its sights low and doesn't try to hard.) This one was just... frustrating. On the other hand, the comedy Brit sidekick was actually pretty funny. They probably cut most of his stuff out... (And when is Johnny English coming to DVD? Or have I not been paying attention?) And why doesn't Claire Forlani work more?

(Just checked Amazon.com for Johnny English on DVD. Apparently, I have not been paying attention...)

Currently reading The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer, the author of the Artemis Fowl books. This one is different, science fiction instead of fantasy, and much darker and more serious. And I think I like it better. About halfway through so far, and I want to try to finish it before the weekend is over.

Day off tomorrow because of the holiday...

No comments: